Engineered Douglas Fir flooring is sustainable & simply stunning. Douglas Fir is a naturally beautiful timber with radiant pinky undertones, and usually crown-cut displaying a long vertical grain along the floorboards. Douglas Fir flooring is widely used in Scandinavian interiors as it lends itself to a bleached Lye and Soap finish. Whitewashed wooden floors and white walls are key elements of Scandinavian style – diffusing natural light and maximising a sense of well-being and space.
Douglas Fir Flooring – Lye & White Soap Finish
Wood Lye is a mild, non-corrosive bleach, widely used to create whitewashed Douglas Fir flooring. Wood lye bleaches the timber and prevents yellowing / goldening that occurs with exposure to sunlight.
Soaping is a secondary process that cleans and protects the floor against dirt and grease. Soaping also plays a part in keeping Solid Douglas Fir Flooring both stable and from splitting. Regular soaping helps to maintain and replenish a suitable moisture content within the timber. The soap is also very effective against dirt, even watermarks and slight dents can be removed by soap mopping. Routine soaping is crucial to rejuvenating and maintaining stable and stunning Douglas Fir flooring.
Engineered Douglas Fir Flooring – Scandi Stain & UV Oil Finish
As all of our flooring is engineered for inherent stability, soaping our engineered Douglas Fir Flooring to maintain floor stability is not required.
We have worked very hard to achieve the perfect bleached Lye effect stain – Scandi. Furthermore our Scandi whitewashed stain as opposed to a Lye and Soap finish is low-maintenance and durable. Both the engineered Douglas Fir flooring & Scandi stain are protected with a hard-wearing UV oil
We manufacture all of our Engineered Douglas Fir flooring from start to finish at our Somerset factory. Douglas Fir is a softwood, an evergreen conifer species in the Pine family . These fast-growing, very tall trees typically top 100 metres in height. Due to the immensity of the Pine trees; Douglas Fir yields super-wide and luxuriously long – room-length floorboards. We manufacture the softwood timber into beautiful wide-plank engineered Pine flooring.
Scandi Stain & UV Oil Finish
Engineered Douglas Fir flooring
Whitewashed wooden floors create a beautiful, natural blank canvas to showcase architectural details and furnishings. This is the reason why our Scandinavian style wooden floors: Engineered Douglas Fir flooring , Engineered White Ash flooring and Engineered White Oak flooring have remained t our most popular for over five years. The Scandinavian trend looks set to be a modern classic however and a firm fixture within Interior Design schemes.
Engineered Douglas Fir Flooring Specification
- Engineered Douglas Fir Flooring comprises of a 8mm Solid Douglas Fir wear-layer and 15mm Birch Plywood substrate.
- The floorboard thickness is 23/24mm (this can be reduced if required).
- End-Matched engineered Pine flooring: Tongue & grooved on all 4 sides.
- Our Douglas Fir floorboards are machined with a micro-bevel as standard (long sides). Square-shoulder available on request.
- Engineered Douglas Fir Flooring is produced in wide-plank floorboards up to 260 mm wide.
- Engineered Douglas Fir Flooring lengths are typically 2400mm, some boards may be built-up to obtain length. Expect some shorter lengths in a pack.
- Engineered Douglas Fir Flooring is supplied filled and sanded, ready-to-finish.
- Prices are per square metre and exclusive of V.A.T.
- Douglas fir is a softwood not a hardwood. It is likely that in service, small splits and / or shakes will appear. After a period, the timber settles and these defects can be repaired, enhancing the aesthetic quality of the product.
- Please note that descriptions and photographs of individual grades depict typical characteristics to expect.
- Douglas Fir being a natural material denotes that each floor is inherently unique